all orders shipping as normal | free UK shipping on orders over £75
Every university has a story to tell.
Whether that be the monuments, the parties, the students or the learning; it all creates an aura and an appeal that rightfully makes it the most amazing 3 years of your life. The vision of theApparel is to finally create a sense of belonging to the university you attended or attend by producing university apparel that is embodies those experiences.
What is on offer from student unions and university stores currently does not align with the experiences of students while there. They are poorly designed, over-priced and fundamentally uncool to wear. The knock-off American typography, the bad fit and the touristy nature of the clothing serves actually to disassociate the wearer from their university town rather than associating them to it.
At theApparel we have begun to craft what will be the future of university apparel. Our garments brings to the forefront of what design and fashion means to a student at a British university; understated style and overstated attention to quality and offer the opportunity for students to represent their second home with pride while not sacrificing their aesthetic.
Our introductory uni:form range currently offer five colours with high quality 3D embroidery that bolsters the letters on the garment adding a new dimension to the university name and allow the thread colour to pop. Our choice of typography embodies the philosophy behind our uni:form range; a traditional and unified association to the university that you belong to while also an embrace of the unique and the unorthodox.
This is shown in our typography which takes direct inspiration from the font used in the vast proportion of literary and academic books in the UK creating a sense of familiarity and heritage. This contrasts with the grammatically incorrect lower case letters at the beginning of the university name offering a fun and ironic escape from the guidelines and limitation of institutions as well as offering a visually appealing symmetry in the shape of the words when on the sweatshirt.
Our New Range
Our initial colours were received with a sense of relief and excitement from the student population, proving to be hugely successful with three drops sold out and still in huge demand. Our aim now is to grow our range into new and bolder colours of sweatshirts as well as a variety of garments such as knitwear, hats, and jewellery.
theApparelare commissioning a design to be embroidered onto a set of scarlet red Champion sweatshirts.
This design should be authentic to the distinct and instantly recognisable nature of a British student’s style and possibly also attempting to represent the university buildings and/or recognisable student spots. This is an item that ought to celebrate life from a student perspective. Drawings, line art, words and typography and shapes are all permitted; be bold. The designs can be abstract and hyper realistic but please remember that will be embroidered and so the simpler and bolder the designs and the lines the better the result.
With embroidery, simplicity is king. Less is more.
Refer to our instagram for a greater understanding of our vibe and our vision.
The artwork will be on a Large red Champion sweatshirt with dimensions of:
57cm from bottom of top to bottom
52cm from left elbow to right elbow
- Receive £100 of prize money
- Take home their design fully embroidered free of charge
- Their designs be sold on our platform as this season’s new design.
- Get a personalised year-long 15% off voucher for theApparel.co.uk on any product.
Students are required to send their initial concepts via low-resolution jpeg along with short statement outlining why they feel it fits with our brand and the vision behind the design to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for this is 1st April 2021 12pm (noon) and winner will be announced after a fortnight of the deadline.
1) You must be a student at with at a british university to enter;
2) Entries are encouraged to be done individually to preserve the integrity of the prizes.
3) The commission fee of £100, for the body of work, is fixed.
4) It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the file sent is accessible and in working order.
5) The copyright of all work submitted remains with the artist/designers; however, by submitting work, you are agreeing that theApparel can use your work for promotional activities (in print, online, or otherwise) for the company.
6) Entrants accept that, if chosen, the client may request up to 2 minor amendments to the initial concept. This is included within the payment terms.